A well known Filipino delicacy is Letchon Manok or also known as roasted / roteserrie chicken. It is something I consistently have craved for since leaving the Philippines. Letchon Manok is packed with herbs and spices which gives such a unique and delicious flavor that's to die for. Letchon Manok is served all year round and is commonly present during special family occasions and holidays.It is what pinoy called "ulam" (viand) and is usually serve with delicious steam or fried rice. Filipino has variety of ways on making their famous Letchon Manok delicious and flavorful please see below my recipe on how to make an easy oven roasted chicken or Letchon Manok dish.
1/2 cup of Sprite Or lime soda
5 - 8 cloves of garlic(chopped)
3 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 of big squeezed lemon or 3 tbsp lemon juice
1 thumb size ginger ( peeled and crushed)
1/2 cup soy sauce
salt and Pepper
Garlic And Onion powder
Thyme and basil spice
3 stalks of lemon grass (chopped for at least 1 1/2 - 2 inches long
Olive oil or any kind of oil
*preheat the oven in 325degrees*
1. Clean chicken under running water and put it in a big size bowl.
2. Mix all dry ingredients and rub it on the chicken. *salt,pepper,thyme,basil,garlic and onion powder*
2. Add sprite, brown sugar, squeezed lemon juice,soy sauce, ginger, chopped garlic. Mix all the ingredients with the chicken and make sure to spread the sauce mixture on all parts of the chicken and the inside.
3. Stuff the chicken with lemon grass, the chopped garlic and ginger and the squeezed half a lemon.Marinate the chicken at least 1 hour but preferably overnight to let the flavor soaked in.
* I usually soakit overnight and when I wake up in the morning I flip it to get the other side soaked for a few hours before I start baking it.
4. Put the chicken in the grilling or baking pan, and bake under 325 degrees. Set the marinated sauce aside. DONT pour it out.
Note: Bake the chicken with the lemon grass,lemon, and ginger stuffing still in it.
6. Add olive oil in the marinated sauce, mix it well and brush some on the chicken.
7. Bake it for at least 1 hour and 45 minutes or when the chicken gets brown.
*Note: Make sure to flip the chicken at least every 30 minutes to make sure both sides are cooked evenly.Dont forget to brush it with some of the marinated sauce every before you flip it.
When the chicken is getting close to being done broil it under 400 degrees temperature to get that crispy and brownish - red skin finish that will make you salivate just by looking at it.
Let the chicken rest for few minutes after its done and Serve it with rice and some veggies with spicy dipping sauce - a mixture of vinegar and soy sauce and red sliced chili. Save any left over for delicious chicken sandwich later. Happy Eating everyone:)